Monday, February 14, 2005

Wiesenhof, Killarney

Monday, February 14, 2005

Service: * * * *
Food: * * *
Ambience: * * *
Babe Count: * * * 1/2

This is one seriously romantic Valentine's day. I received an sms from a friend to say, "Hey Roy, what you up to tonight?"

I replied, "I'm playing backgammon. What are you up to? Did you wanna get together with me and be romantic?"

"I'm sick in bed," she replied. "I was asking, cos I want to find out how a polyamorist spends Valentine's Day!"

Well, this polyamorist is being a tad reclusive. One of the babes I was seeing is now firmly ensconced in Cape Town. Another of the babes is going to be partnering with me in getting my creativity seminars certified, and we'll be marketing them vigorously this year, and I don't shag people I work with. The third of my babes, Helen, has been out of town for ages, and we're simply not getting round to seeing each other as much as we should!!!

So, what this means, in polyamory terms, is that I'm, well, kinda single. Footloose and fancy free. With a family pack of condoms ready to wear.

Which is why I'm facing Jens over a loaded backgammon board. He's one of the better players in the club, having made it into the A-division last year fairly easily.

Within minutes of starting play, I'm 10--0 down.

"How's fatherhood?" I ask him. He's got a new little baby person.

"Ah, it's really wonderful," he gushes. "I'm going to do it. This is my first time," he says, and he reaches for his wallet. "My first wallet picture," he says, pulling a little laminated photo out of a credit card slot.

"Nice baby!" I say. And it is. Huge blue eyes.

"He's too pretty to be a boy," says Jens.

I throw my dice. And start to pull back into the match. But I'm not pulling hard enough, and he beats me 21--20 in a terrifyingly tight finish.

I go into the smoking section, where Matt is playing against Donka. He's just survived a surprise feisty streak from her. She's not the best player in the club. Still very new to the doubling cube, and still learning through losing quite a lot. So when Matt was 17--10 down to her, everyone was surprised. Cos he's one of the top three or four players in the club. But he's up now, and feeling happier.

My ex-boss is playing her match next to him. I greet her, and she looks up. She greets me back, courteously enough for someone refusing to pay me what she owes me. Seems she's ignoring the lawyer's letter. But the deadline hasn't passed. So we'll see what she decides. It's amazing to me that she's withholding my pay. Cos I have absolutely nothing to lose except for a coupla grand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

ShareThis