Monday, November 27, 2006

2006-11-27 Illustration Friday -- Invention

So this is a self portrait of me holding up a red paperclip.

That's cos a paperclip is one of the most basic inventions to have changed the lives of millions. A simple piece of wire twisted into a shape that holds pages together. Who woulda thought???

And the reason I'm writing about inventions is that the Illustration Friday topic this week is exactly that.

So I've added several layers of subtlety to my interpretation of this topic. A self-portrait is also an invention. It's me creating a face to show to the world.

But that's not all. In the background in this picture, you can see a bunch of paintings. Well... in my study I have a bunch of portraits of me. They're by other artists. And they're inventions of me through someone else's mediation.

What I've done here is to do very rough copies of them. Which means I've re-invented them!

Insane, huh?

Gee, Roy, you're a real master of irony and subtlety, aren't you? Have a noddy badge.

This painting was made on my Toshiba Tecra M4 using ArtRage 2.2 in my study, with the November Paste Magazine CD playing on repeat, and me corresponding with several hot babes from the dating site. No paperclips or hot babes were harmed in the making of this pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

ShareThis