Monday, October 02, 2006

2006-10--01 Nadia Chaney on Her Birthday in Africa

Yesterday the industrial theatre troupe I'm co-building did an intervention at the Pioneers of Change 'Arts for Social Change' Day. We ran a forum theatre workshop for people who are interested in using art as a means to change society.

Our workshop got some tremendous feedback from the delegates, and our facilitators took part in other workshops given on the day.

Nadia Chaney was one of the people running a workshop. Hers was on performance poetry, and I was very sorry that our workshop coincided with hers, cos I'd really love to have made it.

Not just cos I'm also a performance poet. More cos as soon as I clapped eyes on her, I wanted to cuddle and hold and and and and and all those embarassing things. (Yes Nadia... this painting IS supposed to be a seduction painting. Now get that gorgeous ass of yours back to Africa as soon as possible.)

This is the description of her from her website:

'Nadia Chaney is an emcee, poet, musician, budding novelist, and multimedia visual artist who loves to dance and imagine. She has been working in arts empowerment in as many areas of her life as possible, from violence prevention, to unity-work, to hip hop classes in detention centres, to self care-for-employability programs, to a massive car-free volunteer-run festival, and lots more. She mostly works in collective, non-profit scenarios, but is also interested in enlightened for-profit work. She believes the sublime centre of the universe can be found at the heart of every moment.'


This week's Illustration Friday topic is 'Quiet'. I chose to paint Nadia for reasons other than seducing her. She performed one of her poems at the celebration after the arts day, and she's really good.

So I figured it would be good to paint a performance poet without her microphone, offstage.

That's my justification, and I'm sticking with it.

One of the other reasons is that she had her birthday in Africa, and she says she really enjoys it here. I'm hoping she enjoys it enough to come hurtling back soon in a jet plane. I'll even pick her up at the airport.

This painting was made using ArtRage 2.11 on my Toshiba Tecra M4 tablet pc with Paste Magazine's CD 24 (link to PDF of CD cover) playing on repeat in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

ShareThis