Thursday, March 17, 2005

Cool Runnings, Melville

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Service: *
Food: N/A
Ambience: * * * *
Babe Count: * * * * *

The dudes from MISSING LINK have organised a party to celebrate the winners of SA Blog Awards. They're the Jo'Blog guys, and they're in the running for huge numbers of awards.

This looks ABSOLUTELY nothing like Laura. When I say hot, I mean it. Phone me, Laura!!!I'm sitting at the same table as Jon Gericke, my ex-compatriot from SAfm. I used to be on his Computer Gig before they reshuffled budgets and got rid of people such as me. Sitting next to him is Laura, hotter than a soldering iron, and potentially single.

She says, "Hmmm. There aren't that many good looking bloggers."

"Am I good looking?" I say.

"Yeah," she says, and I almost believe her.

"I'm single," I say.

She laughs.

Everyone is speaking geek here. I ask the table if they know how to speed up my 3G connection. (I've just bought a 3G wireless card, which claims to be broadband, but seems to limp a little. But I don't really care too much about the speed. What I'm most happy about is that I get connectivity wherever there's cellular coverage. Either via 3G -- fast, or GPRS -- slower, but still faster than a dialup modem.)

A cute looking blonde chap with an American accent and exceedingly long hair whips out a top-of-the-range tablet pc, and zaps a file to my phone via bluetooth. "Run that on your notebook with these settings, and you should notice a difference."

"Do you have drawing software on that?" I ask.

He does. Alias Sketchbook Pro. He fires it up, and lets me have a go. This is EXACTLY what I need. It's like my palmtop sketching software, but seriously high resolution, and hugely muscled.

Even if Laura doesn't want to have baby-making practice with me, the discovery of this software will have made the whole evening a resounding success.

Unfortunately, I'm not up for any awards, cos I didn't know about them, so I didn't canvass my loyal readers to vote for me. Do expect solicitations next year. I want to win in the "Best Perversion Blog" category.

The bloggers here are multi-faceted. They are Chump-Style, Splattermail, Armand, Thea, Jeanpant, Gabbahead, Mzansiaafrika, Commentary.co.za, dragotaur.com, Aquila, Splattermail and Jo'Blog. And guess what? Some of them are winners!

I end the evening chatting about writing to Nichola, one of the blogger's girlfriends. She's feeling a tad excluded, cos all the geeks are now talking about American politics and gay rights and conspiracy theories.

And they're all thinking about blogging about blogging about blogging awards.

I'm not. I'm thinking of Laura.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

ShareThis