Friday, March 04, 2005

Piatto, Nelson Mandela Square, Sandton

Friday, March 4, 2005

Service: * * * 1/2
Food: * *
Ambience: * * * *
Babe Count: * * * * *

One year ago tomorrow, Jacqui and I will have been apart for an entire year. Which is ironic, since Jacqui and I are sitting outside at a table under Nelson Mandela's statue's shadow, eating beef curry that's WAY too salty.

We're not celebrating a year apart. It's one of those coincidences that life throws at you. "I wrote the date on my bathroom wall," I say to her. "I noticed it in the shower this morning."

We hold hands briefly. Of course, I'm wondering how to make her want to get back together with me again. But I realised long ago that it's not going to happen.

Tonight we're just being ourselves. She's being unguarded for the first time in a long time, and I feel we're having a deeply authentic conversation. We're sorting through how to be friends with each other without any of the emotional baggage of having been lovers. We'll succeed one day. It's going to take time. And the currie's got to be less salty. It tastes like tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

ShareThis