Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Lifekludger first idea


Lifekludger first idea, originally uploaded by royblumenthal.

I'm busy designing a logo for Dave 'Lifekludger' Wallace. He mooted the idea during a podcast interview he did with me some time ago. (The Extraordinary Everyday Lives Show #029 - Roy Blumenthal)

I'm basically open sourcing my thinking, and inviting the internet community to offer me their thoughts.

This is my very first grappling with the concept.

Dave's brief is fairly simple. He wants the Lifekludger logo to evoke the idea that things can be converted from their original purpose to make the lives of dis- or differently-abled people easier.

One of his missions in the world is to generate change in the way things and environments are designed. He's a quadriplegic in Australia. And to him, access equals community. Denial of access equals enforced isolation. When an architect or designer makes something that is fundamentally unnavigable by a disabled person, that architect or designer is actively isolating the disabled person.

I'll get deeper into his brief in another post. And I'll also talk a bit about my thinking.

In the meantime, this is the first idea. And as all designers and inventors and writers know, the first right idea is not necessarily the one to go with. It's important to generate many ideas. Some have to be crap. Some will shine. But it's essential not to be too critical (positive OR negative). Cos that stems the idea flow.

This sketch was scamped up in ArtRage 2.5 on my Toshiba Tecra M4 tablet pc after a long bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

ShareThis