Monday, July 16, 2007

2007-07-15 Roller Coaster


2007-07-15 Roller Coaster, originally uploaded by royblumenthal.

This roller coaster combines two challenges.... The Illustration Friday topic this week is 'Discovery'. And the Illustration Friday Night theme is 'Accident'.

Here we have a group of intrepid explorers discovering the extent of their fears and joy. With a little accident happening in the front row.

I based my painting on two reference pics. The roller coaster carriage is a reworking of 'Coaster' by Waffler (aka Adrian Sampson). He has released the pic under a Creative Commons 'Attribution' license.

And the pain, suffering and misery of the network of ups and downs is based on 'Medusa' by Yorkie (aka Stuart). This is released under the same license I use -- Creative Commons 'Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-Alike'.

Massive liberties have been taken by me in interpreting these pics.

I made this painting in two phases. First phase involved comping the two reference pics together in CorelDraw 10. I then worked on the result in ArtRage 2.2, using a very loose chalk pen to do linework, and a roller to do the colour. I then eliminated the linework. I was eating a breakfast of muesli and yoghurt when I completed the vomit plume.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

ShareThis