Sunday, July 22, 2007

2007-07-21 After (for Illustration Friday -- 'Poem' and Illustration Friday Night -- 'My Favourite Lyric')

This one's for the Illustration Friday topic, 'Poem'. Which kinda ties into the Illustration Friday Night topic of 'My Favourite Song Lyric'.

It IS a poem. And I do sometimes sing my poems to myself in the shower. So it could be construed as a lyric, if I really push hard.

I've based this painting on a 3D animation model I made in the free and open source 3D suite, BLENDER. I've been following the tutorial for beginners, and this monkey in a mountainous landscape is the result.

I rendered a jpeg, and opened it as reference in ArtRage. And then I went to work on the paintwork. I made the mountain first. Then the sky. Then my monkey dude.

When the pic was nearly finished, I did the typography in CorelDraw 10, exported that as a jpeg, and brought it into ArtRage as a tracing image. I painted my lettering (about an hour's work). Then I exported the entire ArtRage file to Photoshop.

In Photoshop CS2, I manipulated my lettering, squashing it, stretching it, distorting it, then placed it on a layer behind the mountain range.

Finally, with that done, I opened it in ArtRage again, and did my final touch ups. If you look carefully, you'll notice that the white border is actually painted. I do that as the very last thing. When I print my pics out, this gives them a more painterly feel. I really don't like the rigid line that happens if I don't do this smudged border. For me, organic feels better.

This painting was made on my Toshiba Tecra M4 tablet pc using Blender 2.44, ArtRage 2.2, CorelDraw 10, and Photoshop CS2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

ShareThis