Sunday, July 30, 2006

2006-07-30 Long Dark Teatime of the Zoloft

I'm now on my fifth day of starting Zoloft, a medication akin to Prozac, used for fighting depression, and, in my case anxiety.

I've been distrustful of psychiatry for decades. Especially the decade after reading THE LOONEY BIN TRIP, in which feminist bipolar sufferer, Kate Millett, finds herself incarcerated not once, but twice, in a mental institution, against her will, by her lover.

Things have changed.

Medications now are cleaner, more targeted, more predictably helpful.

For me, the anxiety is the hectic thing. Depression I've coped with all my life. But anxiety. Jeeeeeez. It's the worst.

Right now, for instance, I'm sitting drawing heavy gulps of air to try and fill my lungs.

Shouldn't the Zoloft be helping?

Well, yeah... in a few weeks. Right now I'm still in the side-effect zone. Which translates to the feeling that I've drunk 40 cups of coffee. I'm jolting around the place, but unbearably tired too. But hey. Should wear off by tomorrow night.

When I got home earlier, I decided a cup of tea in darkness would be exactly the right calming thing for me to have. Hence this pic.

This painting was made using ArtRage 2.11 on a Toshiba Tecra M4 tablet pc with a cuppa tea to hand. Lipton, if you're wondering.

1 comment:

  1. My name is Steven Martin and i would like to show you my personal experience with Zoloft.

    I am 35 years old. Have been on Zoloft for 7 months now. This med did clear up the PPD, but weaning off of it has been absolute HELL. I got/am still getting the "zaps" that so many others talk about. Had I known it would be like this, I would have requested a different med. I will NEVER take this med again under any circumstances!

    I have experienced some of these side effects -
    Weight loss, upset stomach

    I hope this information will be useful to others,
    Steven Martin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!

ShareThis